What can my MP do for me?

Members of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not. They are only able to deal with issues raised by people who live in their constituency.  

Whilst of course MPs will do their best to help if they can, MPs can only assist in matters for which Parliament or central government are responsible. You should first try to address issues directly with the organisation involved before approaching your MP. 

An MP may be able to help with problems relating to central government policies, the National Health Service, HM Revenue and Customs (tax issues, child benefits), and the Department for Work and Pensions (benefits, pensions, national insurance).

Your MP cannot help you in private disputes with neighbours, with an employer, with family matters or with companies who have sold you faulty goods, nor can they interfere in legal disputes or with decisions made by the police or the courts. 

MPs have no powers with regard to planning albeit MPs will take an interest where large developments could impact the fabric of the constituency. 

For matters where local government is responsible, the most appropriate first step would be to contact your local Parish, Town, District or County councillor. If your problem is connected with services provided by local authorities (such as planning, housing, parking and recycling), then you should contact your local council:

Rother District Council http://www.rother.gov.uk/residents
Wealden District Council http://www.wealden.gov.uk/home/home.aspx
East Sussex County Council https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/

You can find out who your local councillor is by submitting your postcode at: www.writetothem.com

If your problem is of a more general nature or you are uncertain where to go for advice, then your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to guide you. More information can be found at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/.  

Local Citizens Advice services: 
Rother Citizens Advice  http://www.citizensadvicerotherdistrict.org.uk/
Wealden Citizens Advice http://www.wealdencitizensadvice.org.uk/

Alternatively, please call my constituency office on 01424 736861 where a member of my team will be happy to provide advice and guidance.