Proposed asylum seeker accommodation at Northeye
I am very sorry for the understandable concern that the proposed asylum seeker accommodation centre in Little Common has caused. I fully recognise the significant challenges posed by this proposal and can assure you that I will seek the answers to questions that are raised with me by local residents.
The decision to select this site was made by the Home Office. I was only told about the decision three days before the proposal was announced on 29 March. It has been suggested that I recommended this site to the Home Office. I most certainly did not. Last year, following queries by constituents, I asked the then Immigration Minister if the site was being considered. I was told it was not. I gave my views on the site, and the proximity to the town, at that time.
Following the announcement of the proposal, at my request, the Home Office committed to working closely with me and the wider community. Since then, I have had meetings and regular discussions with the Immigration Minister, convened and chaired a meeting between the Home Office officials leading the on the proposals and the leaders of our statutory local service providers, and met, and continue to have discussions with, local residents about the challenges of the proposal.
I have committed to publishing all of the information that has been provided to me about the proposal by the Home Office. I will continue to ensure that my website is fully updated going forward.
- 03.11.23 - My letter to the Immigration Minister, and his response, regarding Northeye as a 'detained' site proposal
- 17.10.23 – Update on proposal and meeting with Northeye estate residents
- 31.08.23 – Update on proposal: Northeye to be a detained site if proposal goes ahead
- 22.06.23 – Response received from Home Office to questions raised by Northeye residents
- 02.06.23 – Update on the proposal including the response received from the Home Office to questions raised by myself and residents
- 22.05.23 – Update on the proposal
- 27.04.23 – Statement on public meetings and BBC Question Time
- 14.04.23 – Summary of further information and next steps from meeting with Home Office officials and leaders of our local service providers
- 12.04.23 – Update on meeting in Bexhill between Home Office officials and statutory local service provers
- 30.03.23 – Proposal Frequently Asked Questions
- 29.03.23 – Statement on Asylum Seeker Accommodation Site in Bexhill
Bexhill and Battle Observer articles
- 21.04.23 – I'm working across Government rather than burning bridges
- 11.04.23 – My main concern with Northeye plan is that residents feel safe
Government asylum policy reform